Friday, October 31, 2008

I'm convinced this house is cursed

So, the desktop computer went belly-up and I needed to reinstall Windows XP on it to make it work again. This of course means that all the other programs that used to be installed no longer have registry files associated with them so they all need to be reinstalled. I decided that was all too hard and it could wait a while, so I didn't bother setting up much more than FireFox on the desktop, thinking I could use my laptop which was all set up the way I liked it.

Perfect plan, right? Keep everything in the one place, don't have to worry about forgetting passwords or usernames.......Perfect plan right up until a Vista update coincides with the fingerprint security device magically disconnecting itself, requiring me to suddenly remember a password again (luckily I did, DH doesn't so he can't use the laptop anymore) and then last night the power supply in the laptop stopped working. Unlike all the other power supplies in the house that have stopped working (TV, DVR, desktop computer) there is an identifiable reason for the laptop to stop working and it is a glass of water which was "by accident!" knocked over next to the laptop - by the oldest child, who is nearly 10 years old.

So this morning was spent firstly on the phone to HP support, then trying to find their registered repairer after being given the wrong street address. This afternoon was spent on the desktop computer, reinstalling certain programs that are necessary and finding that I've completely forgotten my email password.

Luckily today is Friday which means wine o'clock comes earlier. Unluckily the kids want to go trick-or-treating so wine o'clock will have to be postponed until after we've finished that.

If anything else powered by electrickery stops working I may go completely insane. And if the laptop takes longer than a week to repair I will be furious.

No comments: